I get to race a nice bike at cool places thanks to these guys:


Monday, April 16, 2012

Expanding the Stomping Grounds

The difference between driving to a ride versus riding from your front door is immense. I still haven't had much time to explore ALL of the roads in Hampton, but this past weekend, I finally figured out the best way to get out to the bike-able areas from my front door. Man, oh man, the freedom! That ride ended up being an out-and-back to Colonial Williamsburg. I was excited [/sarcasm] to find that a nearly 80 degree day gave way to the emergence of tourists, which in turn meant that I would need to wait 15 minutes until I could order a small coffee to motivate my ride home over the Colonial Parkway.
The Parkway is a great stretch of road for cycling, particularly if you have a bicycle with very fat tires running low pressure. Okay, it really isn't that bad, but I was expecting to see a lot of other cyclists on a day as fine as Saturday was. It is great training: rough surfaces will mean you ALWAYS have resistance, even if you happen to catch a monster tailwind coming off the York River. Now, if I could just wake up early enough to get out to Williamsburg BEFORE the tourist traffic ramps up, I can explore even further! That whole Waking-Up-Early part might have to wait until the Stanley Cup Playoffs are over though. Let's Go Caps! Game 3 is tonight; ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment